Sunday, October 28, 2007

Yogis

Tonight I'm going to a Halloween party. I'm going to wear the only costume that I own, the Flamenco Dancer's which my mom has made out of a then-existing black velvet dress that I had with adding red and black lace ruffles in an oblique way and a red flower on the belt. I usually get compliments for the dress, I think because it has been designed and made out of motherly passion. I'm not a big fan of Halloween, just don't relate to pretend being someone else. But here I am, a Flamenco dancer without knowing a move! I'm going there with a gay friend of mine. His name is Gilles. Born in Monterey, CA and had lived in Paris for quite a while. Been in hi-tec industry successfully, now is working towards getting his yoga certification. Sometimes women miss socializing freely with men without getting right hit on. He satisfies that need for sure! We are going to Affi's house first. Affi is my friend and inspiring yoga instructor. She is Iranian (Afsaneh), has studied architecture but never practiced it, instead she is a professional dancer, mostly Flamenco and Tango I guess, and the best yoga teacher I have seen. Affi says I'm her only student that is not thinking about quitting her day job and becoming a yoga teacher and she laughs. The party is at Robin's house. Robin is a stay-at-home mom raising two beautiful little girls with a passion for yoga. We all share a power yoga Thursday night class.

3 comments:

Nazy said...

Salam Helaleh Jan. Happy Halloween. I celebrate Halloween only to the extent of staying at home and giving away candy to little kids! Truth be told, it scares me a little to see so many people in disguise! I know what you mean about how good it feels to have gay friends. I think because they also feel members of a minority, experiencing discrimination and occasional outright hate, they have compassion for other minorities. The fun thing for me is the commeraderie I always feel with my gay male friends. We talk about men and women and they show astute understanding of both sexes, knowing when to commiserate and when to explain the why's of puzzling behavior! I hope you enjoy your time with your Yogi friends. I have been considering going to Yoga classes recently, to work on my awful body and on my stressed out soul! Be good beautiful flamenco dancer Helaleh!

Helaleh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helaleh said...

Nazy Joon, salam;
Happy Halloween to you, too! My uncle says, We celebrate with whoever wants to celebrate! -ma ba har ki bekhad jashn begire jashn migirim- we don't care if it's Chrismas or Eid! :)
So good to hear from you. I read your posts regularly. It amazes me how dedicated you are to reflecting your wonderful experiences on a daily, sometimes hourly basis!
Talking about gay people, I would say they are women's best companions! They don't have the occasional competition of some of your same sex peers and as I said, don't have the hidden male intentions of socializing with you. So they are perfect! They are on average more compassionate people somehow, I truly agree and most importantly, friendship with them tells me how someone can enjoy being who s/he is and live the life no matter who thinks what, even though it's against one of the most standard nature laws: being heterosexual. Specially the ones who are open about it. I see lots of bravery in them that I sometimes envy! The message for me is that life is too short for not being who you are! That's why I think there are so many intellectuals and avant gardes between them. They have practiced living on their own terms once!
Regarding yoga, what I like about it is the mind and body connection, which makes it beyond being a solely physical activity. It's designed around focus and balance which helps me at my work too. So I highly recommend it, specially for you, being the type of multi-tasker you are! But having a good teacher is a must. Because sequence in yoga is really important and the instructor should know what pose should follow what to get the best result out of it. I say that because so many teachers out there don't know! There is an annual yoga conference in San Francisco in January. We should go. Which is followed by a yoga trance dance! you can see some clips at
www.shivarea.com
And Nazy joon, when I saw you the first thing I noticed was your "Melahat", and I did not know you, I just thought, "who is she?"