Tuesday, November 6, 2007

got persian blues?

Saturday night, Rana Farhan had a concert in San Francisco singing Rumi poems in American Jazz and Blues for the 800th birthday of Molana. I have to admit it was the first time I enjoyed jazz! I remember when I last went to a live jazz performance I was ordering sushi over and over because I was bored, discussing the details of their sushi ingredients while the show was on! and giggling with my old classmates in between. But Rana's was different. Quite enchanting! She has the kind of voice that can make your soul fly and also she has done a very smart job incorporating Rumi poems into American jazz. Listen to some of her music by clicking at the title, also you can visit http://www.ranafarhan.com/

گه می افتد از این سو
گه می افتد از آن سو
وان کس که مست گردد
خود این بود نشانش



چندین هزاران سال شد
تا من به گفتار آمدم
It took several thousand years
till I came to words!

چون مصلحت اندیشی دور است ز درویشی
هم سینه پر از آتش هم دیده پر از آب اولی
since conservativeness is away from spirituality
better be heart full of fire, eye full of water!

2 comments:

Nazy said...

I'm so sorry to have missed it, Helaleh Jan. I hope she comes back soon.

Anonymous said...

Well said.